- This event has passed.
Queens “They Make Your Hive Go ‘Round” Masterclass (Beekeeping)
January 19, 2021 @ 6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
One reason to inspect your hive every two weeks is to make sure you see eggs/larvae so you know you have a healthy queen. The worker bees live for 5 weeks, so need to be constantly replaced for the hive to stay alive. A thriving hive depends on a healthy, laying queen. In this class we’ll cover:
- how to tell you have a healthy queen
- how to look for signs she could be failing
- what to do if you see very little brood and/or queen cells
- queen math – how to estimate when your queen died, when your new queen is mating & will lay, and how not to worry (at least for 5-6 weeks)
- how to combine hives so the right queen lives
- how to buy and insert a mated queen
Making splits in the spring so you have 2-3 hives gives you redundancy. If one of your queens fail, you still have 1-2 viable queens/hives. Take our splits classes this spring to give yourself extra queens.
Instructor: Jennifer Radtke has been keeping bees in her backyard for 13 years, and has developed the beekeeping education program at the BioFuel Oasis. The photo is one of her queens, still alive, bred by Randy Oliver in spring of 2019.
|Sign up for one (or all!) of our emails newsletters, depending on your interests!