Spring Management of Your Beehive: Sunday 2-Part Series
February 19 @ 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm$50.00
NOTE: this class is online via Zoom in two parts:
Part 1: Sunday, February 19th, 6:30pm-8pm
Part 2: Sunday, February 26th, 6pm-8pm
This class will prepare you for what to expect to see in your hive February – June and what to do. This class covers two distinct seasons: early spring (Feb/March) and late spring (April-June).
In this class, you will learn:
- What the bees are focused on in spring, so you can work with their natural instincts.
- The difference between early and late spring & what to do in each
- How the weather (amount of rain, cold, and sun) helps and hinders the bees, so you can be prepared for any kind of spring weather
- Swarm prevention (but the swarm prevention class goes into greater depth on this)
- Spring mite management
- How and when to get wax drawn-out
- When to harvest honey
At the end, we will go through 1-2 case studies of hives & what to do.
Spring is the prime time to split your hive. We recommend you also take our Splitting Your Hive class, if you are interested in that.
Instructor: Jennifer Radtke has been keeping bees in her backyard for 18+ years, and has developed the beekeeping education program at the BioFuel Oasis. She’s kept up with her bees’ growth in early spring and split her hives every year around April 1st (& sometimes a second time at the end of May). Her bees have only swarmed once in 10+ years.
|Sign up for one (or all!) of our emails newsletters, depending on your interests!|